I normally don’t eat a lot of fake meat, but I have really been enjoying tofu lately. Mostly because I have been loving to eat Tofu Scramble for breakfast. I decided to try and use tofu in a sandwich instead of my usual breakfast. Because my Tempeh Salad Sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches ever, I decided to make nothing similar with tofu and add some pesto! Who doesn’t love pesto? I know this Italian girl does!
This sandwich is incredibly easy to make, and if you are just cooking for yourself then it should last you for a few meals. I love batch cooking some of my favorite meals so I can eat them all week long.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup of pine nuts
- 1½ cups of basil
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Water to thin (about 2 tbsp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup of hummus
- 1 tomato, diced
- Bread slices for serving
- Remove tofu from packaging and strain water. Remove as much excess water from tofu as possible by pressing it firmly between paper towel.
- Place the tofu into a bowl and crumble with a fork.
- Place the crumbled tofu and a splash of water into a pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, toast the pine puts on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Blend the pine nuts, basil, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, water, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked tofu, pesto, hummus, and diced tomato.
- Serve the tofu pesto mixture between two pieces of toasted bread.